I’ve been brainstorming questions that I’d like to be asked for my exams (t-minus 45 days). Here are some ideas for twentieth century, in roughly chronological order:
- What blend of anxiety and idealism drove the Progressive Movement?
- The New Deal: Revolution, Reform, or Retrenchment?
- Was the Cold War inevitable? Or was it an aberration, a detour from a multilateralist course set during the New Deal and World War II?
- During the Cold War, to what degree did American domestic politics affect American foreign policy and vice-versa?
- To what extent can the rise of the New Right be attributed to elite political actors versus grassroots movements?
- Is American imperialism between 1898 and 2008 best characterized by change or continuity?
I’ve got some rough outlines for these questions that I’ll share next week. Your thoughts? Which sounds like more fun to talk about?